The following are some of the many concepts presented during my clinics. They are based on my New York multi-cultural performing experience and on my travels around the world.
• Defining ‘Latin’ music - salsa versus samba / differences between Afro-Cuban and Brazilian music. Demonstration of rhythms from Latin America.
• The importance of the “OFF Beats” and making them feel like "downbeats." Using syncopation and playing "over the bar line”.
• Introduction to ‘Konnakol’ and its use. Common ground on odd meters from India to the Balkans to North and South America.
• Additional topics will include reharmonization and advanced improvisational techniques, creativity and inspiration, as well as the importance of body language.
• Four mallet technique, exercises to develop independence between left and right hand, sticking that comes from drumming and practicing with a metronome routine.
Christos Rafalides is available for:
• educational clinics and masterclasses
• solo and ensemble performances
• collaborations with high school and university ensembles
Most recent master class appearances include:
• CRR in Paris, France
• EJMA in Geneva / Lausanne / Martigny, Switzerland
• Salerno State Conservatory, Italy
• Athens State Conservatory, Greece
• Conservatory of Santiago / Burela, Spain
• Miami Dade College
• Manhattan School of Music
• Berklee College of Music
• University of Massachusetts
• Boston Conservatory, Boston MA
• Berkeley, University of California
• Brooklyn College
• Faculty of ZMF (Zeltsman Marimba Festival)- USA, China, Japan